Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Spiritual Taste Buds

I have been reading "He speaks to me"by Priscilla Shirer. Something in her book reminded me of the pictures you will find at the end of this. Some of this I will quote word for word and some I will try to paraphrase since you all know.."I'm a talker". Like my husband says..."Just get to the point, April!" I don't want to miss out on words that "Make ALL the difference."
Receiving God's direction and following it are two different things. What if I dont want to walk into the way He say's to go?(is it too hard? too convicting? would it offend anyone?) I've often claimed to desire God's direction for my life, but what I've really wanted is for HIM to bless the path I've already chosen for myself. How can I follow God's direction when my heart's not really in it?

Paul gives you a bit of truth you need to know: "God is working in you, giving you the desire to obey him and the power to do what pleases HIM' (phil 2:13) This verse says that desiring and doing God's will are not our responsibility; they are HIS. In other words "God will cause you to want to do what is right and give you the power to pull it off. What a relief, huh?" ( I dont believe we are to just sit around though expecting HIM to do it ALL. HE has already done that. I do know that as we want to learn our husbands and wives likes and dislikes and when you meet a new friend you have to find out more about them in order for your relationship to grow.) That means doing YOUR part. When I met Josh I didnt automatically know him. My goal was to WOW him. I wanted to cook his favorite meals, bake his favorite desserts. Play his favorite sport and (secretly try to beat him at..ha ha which I couldn't and still can't do, since his favorite sport is GOLF!! I can almost beat him at putt putt though) Anyway, you put in alot to a relationship to know the person. I believe that is what we are to do to HEAR and KNOW the LORD. TO learn HIS likes and dislikes. TO love the things from HIM.
"When I was pregnant,I began a love affair with chocolate. I had never had a taste before until about my 8th month of my pregnancy. One day, all I wanted was chocolate. Something happened while the new life was growing inside me that completely changed my taste buds and made me desire something I had not really wanted before. Now I couldn't seem to get enough of it.

When the new life of the Holy Spirit takes up residence in you, He begins to change your spiritual taste buds. He causes you to understand and desire God's will for you. This means that when you and I are in fellowship with God and REMAIN in HIS WORD, our emotions and understanding will change so that we desire the same things GOD desires.
No longer do I frantically search for God's will; now I just desperately search for God. I trust that it is His responsibility to show me what HE wants me to do and how I am to go about doing it. As I SEEK HIM, STAY IN HIS WORD, and CONFESS EACH OF MY SINS to HIM, HE transforms my mind and emotions to align with HIS PLANS and purposes for my life.

It's still unbelievable to me that my tastes changed so radically because of my pregnanacy, but that's what happens when NEW LIFE TAKES UP RESIDENCE IN YOU. When the Holy Spirit takes up residence in us, HE changes our tastes more and more every day so that we desire to do what pleases HIM.

Sorry so long but again these pictures of Makayla and Drew Brady fell right into this today. Thanks for sticking in there and reading. God Bless You!

4 comments:

  1. Right on the money baby. You encourage me to walk closer with Him when I hear of your walk in detail. So you did "get to the details" and I agree with you. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joshua,
    You inspire me. You and I have learned alot haven't we? I am thankful He is not finished with us yet. I am also blessed that HE has chosen us together to go through these "field trips" together as husband and wife. I have seen a major growth in you just 2 years ago that I praise God for you more and more each day. We have learned to get out of our comfort zone. Also that we cant stay the same and go with God. He is constantly changing us as we GROW with HIM. My prayer is that we continue to submit to HIM and that HE continues to mold us into becoming more like HIS AMAZING SON. I look forward to the days ahead with you my beloved. I LOVE YOU MADLY!! Love, Your wife :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! Awesome post April!!! Your right the more you thrive for HIS Word the more time you have for it and HE pulls you away from the worlds wrong ways ... Thanks for sharing this post. I'm working on "The Power of a Positive Mom" by Karol Ladd, you should really check it out next. Oh and I'm laughing my head off at the pics of the kiddos!! Have a great day!!

    Love ya
    Tisha
    ps. You and Josh are too precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN SISTER....Great job April...We have to continue to do everything pleasing to Him. I look forward to growing with Him everyday.

    "Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever." Psalm 107:1

    I Love You
    Mom

    ReplyDelete